The latest round of tariff announcements in the last few days means that by the end of the year, essentially all Chinese goods exported to the U.S. will be subject to duties.China Economyread more
Futures fell after Trump said the U.S. will raise tariffs on more than $500 billion worth of Chinese imports, increasing trade tensions.Marketsread more
Tensions stemming from the U.S.-China trade war escalated sharply over the last few days, with much happening as Asian markets were shut down for the weekend.China Economyread more
Clouding the G-7 gathering, which represents the world's major industrial economies, are the tit-for-tat tariffs between Washington and Beijing.Politicsread more
China said Friday it will be resuming 25% duties on U.S. autos, and a further 5% on auto parts and components.Asia Marketsread more
World leaders, environmental groups and celebrities have publicly decried the vast swaths of forest being destroyed by the fires.World Newsread more
Education Minister Ong Ye Kung says the Singapore government has been preparing for the challenge of an aging workforce "for the past 20 years."Employmentread more
Megvii is known for its facial recognition technology and while revenue grew over 350% in 2018, its losses have widened.Technologyread more
Stocks in Asia fell Monday afternoon following an escalation in the U.S.-China trade war late last week.Asia Marketsread more
Carl Medlock used to work at Tesla. Now he's one of the few people in the U.S. that can fix the company's original Roadster electric vehicles.Technologyread more
Hours after President Trump said Sunday he had "second thoughts" about escalating the trade war with China, the White House sought to explain his remark because it was...Politicsread more
With six weeks to go before the U.K. is scheduled to leave the EU, the political and economic future of the world's fifth-largest economy remains as uncertain as ever.
That's because unless May can get a Brexit deal approved by a majority of U.K. lawmakers over the coming weeks, she will either have to ask the bloc to delay the process or thrust the country into chaos by leaving without a deal.
"In our view, the Prime Minister will repeatedly try to defer the deﬁnitive parliamentary vote on her negotiated Brexit deal, and the intensiﬁcation of tail risks will continue to play a role in incentivising the eventual ratiﬁcation of that deal in a divided House of Commons," Goldman said in a note to clients on Friday.
On Thursday, British lawmakers voted down May's approach to Brexit talks. It marked another humiliating defeat for a prime minister battling to overcome deep parliamentary divisions.
The defeat has no legal force for Downing Street and the U.K. government has said May would not change her negotiating strategy with the bloc.
Uncertainty over Brexit has rumbled on for almost three years, rattling financial markets. Business and consumer sentiment has also deteriorated amid heightened fears about the prospect of a disorderly Brexit from the EU that could damage the economy.
"There does exist a majority in the House of Commons willing to avoid a "no-deal" Brexit (if called upon to do so), but there does not yet exist a majority in the House of Commons willing to support a second referendum (at least at this stage)," the bank added.
The U.S. investment bank said it estimated the probability of a "no-deal" Brexit at around 15 percent, the likelihood of a ratiﬁed Brexit deal at around 50 percent and the chance of "no Brexit" at all at around 35 percent.